Affimer® diagnostics key benefits
Affimer® technology has a number of significant advantages over other affinity technologies, such as antibodies and aptamers.
Scroll down and click through the infographic below to find out more.
- “EURL ECVAM recommends that animals should no longer be used for the development and production of antibodies for research, regulatory, diagnostic and therapeutic applications.
- In the EU, the provisions of Directive 2010/63/EU should be respected and EU countries should no longer authorise the development and production of antibodies through animal immunisation, where robust, legitimate scientific justification is lacking.”
- Affimer® technology is non-animal derived, ensuring that high quality, robust affinity reagents can be produced for your diagnostic needs whilst adhering to Directive 2010/63/EU.
- Rapid development provides an ideal diagnostic partner when time is short.
- Affimer® reagents can be developed in a matter of weeks, compared to months for standard antibody technologies and only requires sub-milligram quantities of antigen.
- For example, Affimer® reagents were raised and characterised in as little as 6 weeks following the SARS CoV-2 pandemic, meaning Affimer® reagents are the go-to choice for pandemic preparedness.
- Affimer® reagents recognise discrete changes in conformational epitopes. They routinely display binding affinities in the low nM range.
- These high affinity binders can be used in most applications without the need for additional affinity maturation.
- The in vitro selection process used to generate new Affimer® molecules can be used to negatively select against common cross-reacting targets increasing the specificity further.
- Affimer® technology is functionalised easily and specifically with fluorophores, tags (V5, c-myc, HA, 3xFLAG, and C-terminal cysteine for example), enzymes, other proteins and ligands making the development of new assays and applications quick and low risk.
- Antibodies are typically around 150 kDa in size; at 12-14 kDa Affimer® proteins are roughly 10 times smaller, giving them several performance advantages.
- The Affimer® molecule may also be immobilised at a higher surface density on solid supports in sensors and assays improving the signal to noise for the same detection area.
Ease of manufacturing
- Every validated Affimer® product is sequenced and produced by expression in E. coli.
- Each Affimer® product is checked for purity and concentration, and specificity is checked by mass spectrometry before being shipped to you.
- Consequently, Affimer® products are of confirmed high quality with no batch to batch variation and with security of supply assured.
Freedom to Operate
- Affimer® technology is entirely unrelated to antibodies.
- It is based on a plant cystatin consensus sequence, so there is often freedom to operate in diagnostic applications where significant, well-established antibody-based intellectual property exists.